HistoryFaith Lutheran Church was founded in 1955. It began in January of that year when the Board of Home Missions sent Harold Tollefson, a young seminary student, to survey this area to determine the level of interest in starting a new Lutheran congregation.
In March of 1955, 82 persons gathered for the first worship service in a vacant store. In July, there were 117 members and at the end of the year, 169. Currently the membership has grown to over 4000 baptized members. In all, nearly 11,000 individuals have joined Faith Lutheran Church.
Faith began as a Lutheran Free Church, voted to merge into the American Lutheran Church in 1961, and became a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in 1988. This church is part of the Northwest Conference of the Minneapolis Area Synod of the ELCA. The ELCA has more than four million members in over 11,000 congregations, making it the fifth largest Christian Church body in the U.S.